Call for Applications 2024-2025
FUTURE PROFESSORS PHASE 2 COHORT 2
SUBMISSION DATE: 31 MARCH 2023
About The Future Professors Programme (FPP)
The Future Professors Programme (FPP) is a competitive and selective programme of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), which prepares promising mid-career academics to be a new cohort of South African professors across disciplines. The University of Johannesburg (UJ) was appointed by the DHET to lead the implementation of the FPP Phase 2 Programme that commenced in 2021. This is the second call for applications to be submitted for participation in the FPP Phase 2 programme. The programme targets the country’s most talented academics in order to accelerate their readiness to become university professors and is an innovative approach to growing a representative professoriate through the implementation of a coherent, structured, and effectively supported programme.
The programme aims to contribute to the need for a critical mass of academic excellence and leadership in South African Higher Education institutions and complements initiatives funded by the DHET, DSI (NRF) and individual universities aimed at developing a pipeline of mid-career academics. Elements of the programme include: applying for NRF rating and research grants, enhancing research capacity, mentoring, personal development activities and other dimensions required for eligibility for full professorship. South Africans, particularly black females, who are full-time, permanent academic staff members in universities, will be prioritised for participation in the programme.
Academics in the senior lecturer or associate professor rank in South African public universities are encouraged to apply through their University’s designated authority (which is the office of the relevant DVC). Applicants must be in possession of a doctorate and have an excellent track record in teaching and research in anticipation of advancement to the senior ranks of the academy within their own universities.
From these applications, a cohort will be selected for participation in Phase 2, Cohort 2 of the programme, which will commence in 2024.
Eligibility for nominations for participation in Phase 2 of the FPP is based on the candidates demonstrating:
- A deep commitment to the pursuit of knowledge building;
- Evidence of productive and imaginative scholarly work in the form of publications and/orartefacts;
- Academic focus and purpose;
- A willingness to benefit from and contribute to a community of scholars across disciplines;
- Novelty and willingness to engage in the multidisciplinary pursuit of large ideas;
- Commitment to community engagement which is tied to research and knowledge-building work;
- Openness and commitment to personal growth and inquiry-based conversations;
- Evidence of resilience and persistence in dealing and coping with challenges;
- Openness and willingness for their academic and research work to undergo scrutiny and review by peers.
Documentation required for submission:
- Completed FPP Phase 2 application form;
- A detailed academic curriculum vitae with updated research publications, including any publications that may be submitted or that are in the process of being reviewed;
- A 2-page motivation prepared by the candidate demonstrating how the required attributes are met: specifically in relation to the pursuit of knowledge, how the academic work undertaken will contribute towards community needs, as well as a brief outline of the long-term contribution to the future of academia;
- Three contactable referees.
- All applications must be accompanied by an institutional nomination completed by the University’s designated authority addressed to the Programme Director, Dr Kirti Menon and should be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com
Universities are limited to five applications per University, and only submissions made by the Office of the relevant DVC at a University will be considered. The deadline for submissions of applications/ nominations is 31 March 2023.
For further information on FPP Phase 2 or the application process, you are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org